Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels
Written by Sumayyah Namusabi
Dieting has become increasingly popular in today’s lifestyle for it brings about health benefits which can be both physical and mental. Finding what to eat can sometimes be hard especially if you are trying to follow a calorie control plan. Spooye’s got you!
These tasty and filling sample meal plans will help you get through the day (breakfast, lunch and dinner);
You just got up from a long night of sleep presumably, you are hungry and you need your energy up to get ready for the day!
Eggs are a perfect way to start the day because they are loaded with proteins and healthy fats.They are cheap, tasty and easy to prepare. Some breakfast styles include;
- Eggs and fried vegetables in coconut oil.
- Asparagus and soft eggs on toast.
- Omelet with veggies.
- Eggs and bacon; Though bacon is not exactly healthy, you can eat it on a low-carb diet and still lose or maintain weight (if eaten in a moderate manner).
Smoothies are a great way to load up on many nutrients including vitamins, proteins and healthy fats. A low in sugar and high in fibre and protein smoothie should be a go-to. some of the high in fibre fruits include;
For a gluten-free diet, there are plenty of healthy and delicious options despite the fact that it can be restricting to those with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Some breakfast meals include;
- Oatmeal with fruits of your liking. (Oats are naturally gluten-free. However, they might get contaminated with gluten when processed in the same factory as wheat-based foods so buy from trusted companies or avoid processed foods of that sort.).
- Omelet with veggies.
- Gluten-free toast with avocado and an egg.
For a vegan diet, foods are exclusively from plants and no animal products whatsoever. A few vegan breakfast meals may include;
- A vegan sandwich (toast with veggies like avocado )
- Overnight oats made with fruit (e.g. pineapple or berries), fortified oat or almond milk, chia seeds and nuts.
- A smoothie blended with fortified oat or almond milk.
It’s the middle of the day and you need to refuel energy levels and also stay on a nutritious and health diet plan. These sample meals will give you that. Feel free to get creative with similar foods.
- Lean meat salads like chicken or shrimp.
- low carb wraps like cabbage rolls or whole grain wheat wraps with veggies and lean meats like chicken.
- Whole-grain sandwich with vegetables.
- A whole grain pasta sallad stir fry with zuchini and non-starchy vegetables of your choice.
For a gluten-free diet, remember to always read the food labels or ask at a place you are eating if the food contains gluten.Some sample meals include;
- Chicken or shrimp salads dressed in olive oil or a chicken salad wrap using a gluten-free wrap.
- A lentil and veggies soup.
- Tuna and boiled egg salad.
- Quinoa or brown rice salad with sliced tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, avocado and other vegetables of your liking.
For a vegan diet, go for protein packed foods. Some of them may include;
- Vegan protein packed salads. Some protein packed veggies include; broccoli, spinach, asparagus, wild rice & quinoa).
- low carb wraps like cabbage rolls or a whole grain wheat wrap with veggies and hummus.
- A whole grain pasta sallad stir fry with zuchini and vegetables of your liking.
Dinner or Supper.
This is typically an evening meal and most of the time the main meal of the day. Let's throw in a few carbs to the meals. Though they often maligned in trendy diets, Carbohydrates are important to a healthy diet. These few sample dinner meals are nutritious and healthy and will get you through the night;
- Grilled lean meats like chicken or low fat beef and lamb(served with potatoes or brown rice & veggies).
- Lentil or bean curry made with coconut milk (served with brown rice or quinoa).
- Broiled salmon, served with brown rice and vegetables.
For a gluten-free diet, It can be quite challenging to come up with nutritious tasty meals since gluten is found in many foods. Spooye's got you!
- Chicken or low fat beef and broccoli stir-fry with veggies.Serve with brown rice or quinoa.
- Grilled lean meats like low fat beef and lamb served with a variety of roasted vegetables and potatoes.
- Baked salmon served with baked potatoes or cassava, broccoli, carrots and green beans.
For a vegan diet, vary your sources of protein in the meals to provide your health with different vitamins and minerals.
- A vegan lentil coconut curry severed with brown rice or potatoes.
- lentil or bean bolognese with whole grain pasta
- Veggie stir-fry with quinoa or brown rice
Though snacking is maligned in healthy diets, healthy snacking between meals can tone down your hunger or cravings and also keep you from over-eating during meal times.
These delicious healthy snacks will keep you going (Watch out for gluten if gluten intolerant or sensitive and animal products if vegan);
- A mixture of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
- Roasted chickpeas.
- Fruits like apples and berries
- Dark chocolate
Your meal choices may vary depending on your general health, needs (e.g. weight loss or gain) and preferences.
Consider these sample meal plans as an overall guide on what to eat when it comes to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacking. They can be adjusted to individual needs. Do not forget to drink your water!
HEALTH AND FOOD